What to Consider when Moving out from Uni Halls - Torsion Students
Date July 2021

What to Consider when Moving out from Uni Halls

By Torsion Students 


You may feel like you’ve only just moved into uni accommodation but it’s time to start thinking about where to live the following year. Here are a few tips to make sure it goes smoothly. 


  • The Paperwork 

A deposit will be required for your next student accommodation. 

Whether it is a house, halls or a room and you might not have your deposit back from your current student accommodation yet.

For peace of mind, the deposit will be held in a secure deposit scheme and it’s really easy to get back. A reputable landlord or agent won’t be benefitting from holding your deposit at all.

You will also need a guarantor in case you default on rent payment, again this is standard for renting. A guarantor is someone who can afford to take over your rent should you not be able to and it is a legally contractual obligation so choose wisely!

Private halls take care of all bills for you, so is the easiest option and is the best way to help you budget – no nasty surprise bills and no chance of Wi-Fi being cut off if someone forgot to pay the bill. 


  • Choose your Housemates Carefully 

Living in Uni housing is a bit more intense than living in halls. 

You are unlikely to all have an en-suite and there won’t be the same level of communal space, not to mention loads of friends to pop into if your flatmates are driving you mad. 

You can live with your friends in private halls, this also means if you can fill a whole flat, the operator won’t need to fill the empty room with someone you don’t know.

You will all get access to a shared kitchen and living space but have a quiet, secure room of your own, often with an en-suite. And if you’re lucky, some outside space and communal areas to escape to if your flatmates are driving you crazy! 


  • Considering a house instead of halls? Think carefully.

There are lots of things to consider if you think you want a house, for example you may think you want a garden but who is going to mow and weed it… (and if you don’t you might not get your deposit back).  

If things go wrong, or even if it’s just normal maintenance like changing a lightbulb or unblocking a shower, in a house this will be your own responsibility to deal with yourself or spend time getting in contact with the landlord or agent.  

In private halls, most accept parcels for you which can save hours compared with living in a house and having to retrieve parcels from the sorting office. 

Deciding to live in shared Uni housing is quite a different way of life compared to first year Uni halls with many more demands on your time and money so weigh up your options and take your time making decisions.

Private halls are a good midway solution between living in a house and leaving Uni halls – you have all the independence you crave but with some of the harder things looked after.